The North Beacon Hill Council met tonight at 7 at the Beacon Hill library. Very briefly, here’s what went down:
- Reps from DPD present talked about outreach and prep for the next planning meeting May 30th.
- An ad hoc committee and an outreach subcommittee of the Neighborhood Planning Advisory Committee is seeking a six month delay in the DPD neighborhood planning process to get outreach to more of the community and focus more closely on neighborhood issues specifically instead of Southeast Seattle issues generally.
- Beacon Mountain Playground is moving forward with phase 1 of the project.
- An SDOT representative will be at the June meeting to provide an update.
- Some background on the Sound Transit tunnel voids was given by Roger Pence. There are believed to be only two unfilled voids remaining and they are being actively worked on.
- Some discussion of the pedestrian safety, zoning, and environmental issues around the new car wash occurred, leading into a proposal to form a committee to work on attracting additional businesses to the hill and a motion to write a letter to the DPD concerning the zoning conflict with the transit overlay area.
- Police updates included notice that staffing hours will likely change soon, focusing more bodies during the times of day when they’re needed. Also brief discussion of car prowls, burglaries, graffiti, car accidents, prostitution, etc.
- Asian Express’s liquor license renewal is mentioned to be coming up soon, and it may be an opportune time to work out a “good neighbor” agreement to reduce the sales of high-alcohol beverages.
- Volunteers were sought to staff the NBHC booth at the Jefferson Park festival on June 6th.
- Michael Richmond mentioned the possible upcoming city council and mayoral candidate forums this fall. Previous candidate forums are said to have been especially well attended here on the hill.
- The Piñata Party will be on July 18th this year — the same day as the Sound Transit Link Light Rail grand opening. This may be both good and bad.
- Newly elected board members:
- Matthew Stubbs
- Sara Hasan
Did I miss something or get something wrong? Let us know in the comments.