The schedule has been announced for the first Beacon Rocks! event of 2012 on next Sunday, June 24 from 1-5 p.m. at the Roberto Maestas Festival Street next to Beacon Hill Station. The event’s theme is “Transportation Exploration,” so along with four local bands and four poets, the afternoon will include a “slow bike race,” pedestrian info and walking maps, a visit from Sound Transit with information about the Link light rail system, and a transportation-themed haiku-writing contest with prizes in multiple age categories. We hear there will also be a visit from a giant chicken, to tell us why he crossed the road.
Food vendors will be at the site including a taco truck, a crepe truck, and Full Tilt Ice Cream. There will also be info tables on site for several local groups.
Here’s the entertainment schedule:
- 1:00: Random Axe (folk/jazz duo Jack LeNoir and Betty Jean Williamson)
- 1:35: Kelli Russell Agodon (poetry)
- 1:50: Allen Braden (poetry)
- 2:00: Blue 55 (old-school blues)
- 2:45: Kathleen Flenniken, Washington State Poet Laureate
- 3:00: Audio Couture (improvisational jazz/hip hop duo)
- 3:45: David Horowitz (poetry, then Haiku Contest winner selection by applause)
- 4:00: Nigel Mustafa (reggae/rock band)