- Rhohelia ‘Bob’ Webb, Tuskegee veteran and one of the NBHC founders, passed away on May 28th — Seattle Times
- Relatedly, Craig Thompson posted a remembrance of long-time community activist Katashi Oita on the BAN list — RVP
- Georgetown’s classic Mercedes repair shop Benz Friends is packing up and moving to Burien — Blogging Georgetown
- Route 38: “Slightly ridiculous” what with the light rail opening — Seattle Transit Blog
- Time is running out on the city’s parking and traffic ticket penalty and interest amnesty program. Get paid-up by June 30th!
- Free screenings (donations expected) of Mad City Chickens, a documentary about raising urban poultry, will be held this Friday in Wallingford and Monday in West Seattle. Friday’s showing is presented by Wallingford Neighbors for Peace and Justice, Monday’s by Sustainable West Seattle. Follow those links for full details about show times and locations. — Lynn Tucker on the mailing list
SDOT’s Marybeth Turner wrote to let us all know:
SDOT crews will repair roadway pavement in the 5300 block of Beacon Avenue South on Saturday, March 14, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Southbound vehicles and bikes on Beacon Avenue South will be detoured at South Bennett Street to Columbia Drive South, returning to Beacon Avenue at S Brandon Street. Northbound traffic will not be affected.
View Larger Map
- A panel advocating for veterans of the (first) Persian Gulf War will hold public hearings at the VA medical center on Beacon Hill this month. The Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans will be here Jan. 14 and 15. The committee is holding a series of public meetings to receive feedback before recommending programs to help Gulf War vets. — Now Hear This (P-I blog)
- The city’s blocked off part of bicycle/pedestrian sidewalk on the Jose Rizal Bridge to fix an erosion problem. No estimate for completion given, though. — Getting There
- With this Sunday night snow, so far Seattle schools are still opening on-time and Metro advises checking for service revisions before you head out tomorrow. SDOT has 16+ trucks out sanding and plowing. Drive carefully if it doesn’t all melt off overnight!