At 6 p.m. on Friday, March 4, the Jefferson Community Center will be celebrating Dr. Seuss‘s birthday with games and activities, a birthday cake, and actual green eggs and ham! Bring your appetite. The community center is located at 3801 Beacon Avenue South. Cost is $2 per person.
For more details on each item, follow the links.
THURSDAY 3/4 (today):
- North Beacon Hill Council meeting, 7:00 pm at the Beacon Hill Library (2821 Beacon Avenue South), with folks from the Findlay Street Church in attendance to talk about the development at 14th and Bayview, proposed City of Seattle development guidelines with the Department of Planning and Development, Parks Opportunity Fund info, 12th Avenue/City Light meeting details, Beacon Arts Council and Merchants Association info, and more.
- City Year Breakfast Of Champions, 7:30 to 9am. Meet current members and staff, learn how to join, and have breakfast!
- Green Eggs and Ham, a movie, and crafts for kids at 6pm at the Jefferson Community Center, 3801 Beacon Ave S.
- Blaine Memorial sukiyaki dinner, 4 to 7pm (or 2 to 7pm for take-out), at 3001 24th Ave S.
- Container veggie gardening classes from Seattle Tilth from 1-2pm at Jefferson Community Center, 3801 Beacon Ave S. Classes are $60, require advance registration, and run each Saturday from 3/6 through 3/27.
- Technology Matching Fund grant applications due by 5pm. Last chance this spring to apply for matching grants of volunteer labor, materials, professional services, or cash through the TMF program.
- The Mayor’s Youth and Family Initiative community meeting, 7:00 pm at Van Asselt, 8311 Beacon Ave S, with former mayor Norm Rice, Estela Ortega of El Centro, and deputy mayor Bob Watt.
- Parks board meeting, 7:00 pm at the Jefferson Community Center, 3801 Beacon Ave S, focusing on the Parks and Green Spaces Levy and a Planning and Development Division update.
- Solid Ground Bowl-a-thon at West Seattle Bowl, 4505 39th Ave SW, benefiting Beacon Avenue and El Centro de la Raza food banks.
- Sodo Grocery Outlet grand opening with prizes and events from 8am to 6pm at 1702 4th Ave S. (There’s also a ribbon cutting ceremony — with refreshments! — the day before at 11:30am.)
Not enough? The Musik Lounge has a Q&A with Helladope, too!
* * *
Seattle City Light is in the process of testing various types of LED streetlamps in pilot neighborhoods, seeking to bring more reliable, more efficient, and longer-lasting lighting to your street.
* * *
At 6pm on Friday, March 5th, the Jefferson Community Center will be celebrating Dr. Seuss‘s birthday with a movie, crafts for kids, and actual green eggs and ham! Bring your appetite. The community center is located at 3801 Beacon Avenue South.
* * *
Not a novelty color, but the next evening, Blaine Memorial United Methodist Church is again hosting its annual Sukiyaki Dinner, benefiting homeless women and children. Dining hours start at 4pm and end at 7. Take out hours run from 2 to 7pm. Tickets are $10 for adults and $7 for children 11 and under. Blaine Memorial is located at 3001 24th Avenue South.
* * *
Late addition: Jefferson Community Center hosts the 3rd annual Black History Month Community Forum. Organized by the local chapter of Blacks in Government, the theme is “surviving and thriving in a down economy”. City Council members Bruce Harrell and Sally Clark, Langston Hughes Executive Director Royal Alley-Barnes, and Kitsap County Auditor Walt Washington are on the list to speak. It runs from 6:30 to 8:30pm tomorrow night (Thursday) at 3801 Beacon Avenue South. — Via Publicola