Glenn Herlihy issued a call for all interested in attending a Jefferson Park Community Garden and Food Forest meeting (in the Gardening forum and via David Gackenbach):
Good news… is all we got now.
The Parks Department has sent us a letter to go ahead and apply for the second round of applications for the Levy Opportunity Fund.
The application is due April 2nd and we’re going to do it. This has potential to build a lot of our Garden and is a great exercise for all who want understand public fund raising.
The VA Hospital has contacted us and is interested in some P-Patch or garden space for garden therapy. We can help with that.
We now have interested people from the community, Parks Department, Asa Mercer school, VA hospital, Mara Farms, Permaculture groups in the Seattle area and few others I may have missed. On top of that I just learned one of my good friends is good friends with Mr. MacPherson of MacPherson’s Produce. Maybe they would like some local fruit in a few years.
This next meeting will focus on:
- the Levy Fund application,
- finding a name for the garden,
- welcoming the VA Hospital,
- what to do with the 16th Ave dirt road and other design elements.
- outreach possibilities
Please spread the word. All are welcome to attend.
If you have anything interesting flowering in your garden and want to share it with us please bring it.
The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 2nd at 7pm at the Lawn Bowling Club House (4103 Beacon Avenue South).
* * *
Richard Kyper writes:
It’s springtime, and the garden is happening again. For those of you who know of, or have visited “The Garden,” and you know where I mean, this “e.” is for you.
Come and enjoy the beauty of the season as much as you like, but I do ask:
- Please don’t pick the flowers or dig up plants. If you take them, no-one else can then enjoy them.
- If you have a dog to walk, fine — but please keep your pet on the road, not in the garden, and pick up your messes.
- Someone has been throwing their doggy doo doo bags into the woods. There is a trash can down at the overview park at 12th and McClellan.
Thanks, and cheers to a great early spring.
* * *
A work party is planned for Sunday. More information is after the jump.