Head to El Centro on Monday for the opening ceremony forÂ DÃa de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). The Ofrendas (altars) are always amazing, and this event is a wonderful combination of solemn and festive celebration of those who have passed on.
Here are a few tips to keep your monsters safe while they’re being spooky (from the Centers for Disease Control—experts on scary!)
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use established crosswalks wherever possible.
- Only walk on sidewalks or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Wear well-fitting masks, costumes, and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips, and falls.
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats unless you know the cook well.
- Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Otherwise, stay outside.