The St. George School community invites all and sundry to their Annual Holiday Bazaar from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on Sunday, December 8. The bazaar will include more than 30 vendors, a bake sale, food for breakfast and lunch, kids’ activities, and a raffle. Admission is free. St. George School is at 5117 13th Ave. S.
There is a chance to shop locally right here on Beacon Hill next weekend at the St. George School Holiday Bazaar on Sunday, December 2 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the school’s Gathering Hall, 5117 13th Ave. S.
The bazaar will feature 30 vendors, including A Clean Sweep, Choice Organic Tea, Cookie Lee, Cupcakery, D’s Organic Concepts, Italia Imports, It Works! Body Wraps, Magpie Design Shop, Miche Bags, Pampered Chef, PartyLite, Pearl in Oysters, Rosso Gardens fresh wreaths, Sam’s Club, Scentsy, St. George Parish Fil-Am Association, St. George Parish Seniors, Tastefully Simple, Tupperware, and others.
All ages are welcome. Activities for children include a craft table and cookie decorating. Eighth grade students are hosting a Santa booth. Breakfast and lunch food will be served all day, including biscuits and gravy, pastries, Ivar’s clam chowder, spring rolls, Spam musubi, and more.
Performers will be on hand to entertain shoppers: Traci Hoveskeland at noon, and the St. George School Choir at 1 p.m.
Admission to the bazaar is free.
Topics covered at the hour-long interactive presentation will include:
- Information on local disasters
- What to do during an earthquake
- Fire safety tips
- How to plan your escape routes
- Items to put into a disaster kit
- …and more.
All are welcome to attend. The event will be held in the school hall.
Warm up your wallet for a local gift shopping opportunity! St. George School is hosting the Annual Holiday Bazaar on Sunday, December 4, from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the school’s gathering hall at 5117 13th Ave. S. They promise artists, crafters, and other vendors, as well as food and entertainment for the whole family. Admission is free.
Vendors will be there to sell handmade scarves and other knitwear, jewelry, and toys. There will also be representatives of Avon, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Theo Chocolate, Choice Teas, and more. Poinsettias donated by Georgetown’s Rosso Gardens will be available.
Food available will include a continental breakfast, Ivar’s clam chowder, and pancit.
The entertainment schedule is as follows:
- 9:00 Bottom Line Duo (The Hoveskeland family)
- 10:00 Roque Brothers (Filipino singers)
- 11:00 Chuck Lind (Pianist)
- 12:00 St. George Children’s Choir
- 1:00 Unica Le (Pianist)
Here’s the St. George Children’s Choir performing “One Small Voice” earlier this year:
St George Parish School is hosting a Beacon Hill Neighborhood Open House and Book Fair on Saturday, March 5, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. The fair will have books and school supplies available for purchase, and other activities will include story time, art activities, and snacks.
The fair is in St. George’s Parish Education Center, 1300 South Dawson Street.
Judith Edwards of the North Beacon Hill Council sends this information about this month’s NBHC meeting:
Come join the North Beacon Hill Council at 6:30 pm, Thursday, December 2 in the Beacon Hill Library Community Room. No speakers, just food and a chance to meet your neighbors! We’ll do a bit of bragging about what has happened in the past year, thank the Board members for their hard work, and enjoy spending time together. Pizza, salad and water provided by the NBHC Board. Plan to join us!
The library is located at 2821 Beacon Avenue South.
* * *
St. George School is holding their annual Holiday Bazaar on Sunday, December 5, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in the school hall, 5117 13th Avenue South. The bazaar will feature over 25 talented jewelers, artists, crafters, and Fair Trade and commercial vendors from the local community. There will be a continental breakfast available for $3.00, and entertainment will be provided by students, family, and friends of St. George. There will also be a themed gift basket raffle.
* * *The Seattle Pedestrian Advisory Board is accepting applications for new members. This volunteer board plays a role in implementing Seattle’s Pedestrian Master Plan, and also advises the Mayor and City Council, participates in planning and project development, and evaluates policies and makes recommendations to all city departments including the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT). Board members serve two-year terms; they must be Seattle residents who are not city employees, and should be frequent walkers of any age, level of mobility, area, or “walk of life.”
Interested? Email a resume and cover letter explaining your interest by December 17 to Brian Dougherty at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, call Dougherty at 206-684-5124, or send e-mail to the address above.
* * *
Registration is now open for Adult Beginner to Intermediate Spanish classes at El Centro de la Raza. The classes will run from January 11 through March 17 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 – 7:30 pm. Information and a registration form is here.
* * *
A new restaurant is having their grand opening this weekend in the Valley near the eastern edge of Beacon Hill: St. Dames, a “neighborhood joint for vegetarian fare and spirited care” in the old Maki and Yaki location at 4525 Martin Luther King Jr. Way South, just a block north of Columbia City Station. They promise “Food, drinks and fun for the whole family!
Friday 12/3 Happy Hour all night long! Drink specials through the weekend!”
* * *
The Goodwill Job Training and Education Center just north of the Hill at 1400 South Lane Street is holding registration this month for free classes that will be offered in January and February. Classes will include a nine-week Retail and Customer Service Traing Program, Community College 101, English for Speakers of Other Languages, basic computer skills, writing, math, and cashiering.
Registration will be held from December 13-17 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. For class availability and enrollment information, call 206-860-5791.
- There’s a rummage sale in the St. George School Hall on Saturday and Sunday. The folks from St. George tell us that proceeds will help to support the St. George Grade 8 educational trip to Alaska and Victoria, B.C.
The sale hours are 8:00 am to 3:00 pm both days. St. George is located at 5117 13th Avenue South.
- We have previously mentioned the volunteer work parties in Lewis Park and the Maple School Natural Area this Sunday. However, we missed one. There is also a work party organized to plant trees on South Columbian Way. This volunteer opportunity is from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon this Sunday, October 10. Meet at 1625 South Columbian Way (lawn of the Seattle Presbytery).
- Beacon BIKES will be meeting on Monday evening at 6:30 pm at the Beacon Hill Library, 2821 Beacon Avenue South. If you want to plan ahead, their next meeting is scheduled for November 15, same place and time.
- Check out our Facebook page, where we’ve posted a coupon for Tasha’s Bistro Café on Beacon Avenue, good for two-for-one entrees this Saturday night only.
As always, you can keep up with Beacon Hill events on our Events page.
Marissa Ramos, music teacher at Beacon Hill’s St. George Parish School, will play a benefit concert for St. George on May 29th at 7:00 pm in the church. Friends and fellow UW, USC, Yale and University of Arizona alumni will join her in a show featuring two grand pianos and dueling pianists, and a repertoire that includes Mozart, Brahms, Joplin and more.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children. Call the school at (206) 762-0656 to reserve tickets.
St. George is at 5117 13th Avenue South, the corner of South Dawson Street and 13th Avenue South.
Thanks North Beacon Hill Council for the information!